Oatmeal with nuts, seeds and fruit
On a cycling trip, a hearty, nutritious and energy-rich breakfast is indispensable. That's why oatmeal is the perfect meal to start off a new day in the saddle. Be sure to mix nuts, seeds and/or (dried) fruit through the oatmeal. For example, you can cut up and add an apple, banana, kiwi, or other easily transportable fruit. Adding cinnamon and/or natural sweetener (e.g. honey, agave syrup, ...) to the recipe will give your breakfast even more flavor.
You can make oatmeal with water, but milk makes the
porridge creamier (and on a personal note also tastier). If you go for milk we
recommend to bring powdered milk. Milk is difficult to keep cool during
bikepacking and powder is transported in a more compact way.
Preparation time: about 6 minutes
Ingredients (per person):
- Oatmeal flakes - 50 grams
- Water or Milk - 250 ml
- Milk powder - 25 grams (if you choose milk)
- Fresh or dried fruit
- Nuts and/or seeds
- Bring 250 ml of water to a boil. If you want to use milk, add the milk powder before the water boils. Always remember to add one tenth of the desired amount of milk (for 250 ml of milk, you need 25 grams of milk powder).
- Then slowly add the oatmeal flakes while stirring. If the porridge does not have the desired thickness, add some more flakes.
- Let it cook for another 2 minutes and then remove from the stove.
- Now add the nuts, seeds or fruit and mix it into the porridge